Join us for the 2014 Don’t Walk By Annual Homeless Outreach Campaign!
What: Don’t Walk By is an annual outreach event that brings together an army of volunteers to fan out across Manhattan each Saturday during the month of February on a search and rescue mission for the homeless. Volunteers seek to offer every single street person food, warm clothing, blankets and the opportunity to get off the streets and enter a shelter and residential program.
*MTA will be serving on the Downtown Outreach on Feb. 8th at OCM
- Saturday Feb 8 – Downtown Outreach at Oversea Chinese Mission (154 Hester St, corner of Hester St. 10013) FULL!
- 7 more team leaders needed. Please email Ellen (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you can serve in this capacity.
- Saturday Feb 15 – Eastside Outreach at Fifth Avenue Presbyterian (7 W.55th St, at 5th Ave, 10019)
- 15 MORE Team Leaders needed!
- Hospitality is FULL – sign up for March 1st!
- 2 more Subway engagement volunteers needed
- 97 more Street engagement volunteers needed
- Saturday Feb 22 – Westside Outreach at Calvary Baptist Church (123 W.57th St, b/t 6&7th Ave, 10019)
- 6 more team leaders needed!
- 10 more Subway engagement volunteers needed
- 26 more Street engagement volunteers needed
- Saturday Mar 1 – Uptown Outreach at Bethel Gospel Assembly (26 East 120th St, b/t 5th & Madison Ave, 10035)
- We need 16 MORE Team Leaders!
- 38 more Hospitality volunteers needed!
- 9 more Subway engagement volunteers needed
- 136 more Street engagement volunteers needed
Types of Volunteers
- Street Engagement–
Walks a 10×10 block radius with team on search and rescue mission to find the homeless, and offer them a ride back to the anchor church for food, meal, clothes, etc. Must be at least 18 yrs old to qualify
- Subway Engagement–
Rides a subway line with team on search and rescue mission to find the homeless, and offer them a ride back to the anchor church for food, meal, clothes, etc. Must be at least 18 yrs old to qualify
- Team Leader (Street Engagement or Subway Engagement) –-
Leads a team of the above mentioned volunteers with map, homeless tracking info, and transportation contacts. Must attend a team leader training and will be prompted to select one of 2 dates during registration. Must be at least 25 yrs old to qualify
Works at the anchor church to provide a smile, meal, clothing, medical treatment, resources, and more to the homeless guests that arrive off the streets. Must be at least 16 yrs old to qualify
- Medical Professionals– We also need medically trained professionals.
If you would like to volunteer in this way, please contact Jaime Hayes directly at DWBmedical@gmail.com.
- Transportation– We always need more vans to help with transportation during the outreach. If your church/family/organization has a van, minivan, and can offer a driver, please contact David Van Fleet directly at email@example.com